Additional custom stylesheet - good or bad idea?

Heya!

Wondering if you have any advice here.

With Frameworks such as Freelancer (and Genesis) there is a large style.css file in the child theme.
I always add my custom CSS all neat and tidy at the end, but the file soon becomes pretty huge and hard to navigate.

I was just wondering if it would be an idea to create an additional custom stylesheet and enqueue this.

Similar to:
add_action( ‘wp_enqueue_scripts’, ‘my_custom_stylesheet’ );
function my_custom_stylesheet() {
wp_enqueue_style( ‘custom-style’, get_stylesheet_directory_uri() . ‘/custom.css’ );
}

I have seen some people say this would be detrimental to site performance and others say the overheads would be negligible so it's no real issue.

Do you have any thoughts on the matter?

Cheers!

Brett

Awesome explanation and 1st class response! ;-)

I agree with your final thoughts on the video there completely.
The safest and most solid option would be to use Extender Pro to perfect any additional CSS and then move it over to the style.css file via Themer Pro once happy.

I clear my browser cache a lot during builds which puts any CSS in the Themer Pro sandbox at risk if I leave it there too long.
But as Extender Pro is independent of that - it makes a lot of sense to use this tool during the main editing process.

And I guess while enqueueing seems like a great idea in theory, the Themer Pro and Extender Pro front end tools read style.css.
So that wouldn't actually speed up development. ;-)
Saying that.... Using Instant IDE would rock that concept if it was necessary!

Cool! Thanks so much!
Great help to clear my head and create a solid workflow!
Totally appreciated..
:)

Brett