Genesis Devkit

Okay, so I installed the Devkit and cloned the Sample Theme. Thank you so much! I had been using Themer Pro with Genesis and had issues... the Genesis Devkit addresses most of those issues.

One issue I ran into is that there is a 70-pixel margin for the content area to take the fixed header into account. In order to get rid of it, I had to only override the CSS, but I had to modify the JS files for the sample theme. Just an FYI for anyone else wanting to get rid of it (I'm using a transparent fixed header).

One feature I would like to see added is a custom prefix instead of "devkit" when the new child theme is created. I'm using it to create a custom theme "base" for all of my clients and I can't change anything until after I'm done (since your code relies on "devkit") and every time I change it in the future, I would need to make all those changes again.

I would REALLY REALLY like to extend the Devkit with my own editing panels. In fact, in the future, I'd like to see you add actions/hooks for developers who want to extend your products... been really wanting this in Dynamik for years.

An article on your web site about building in automatic updates for our custom child themes would be nice.

Thanks again for another great product!

eric

Administrator
Cobalt Apps Developer
Thanks for the feedback Dave. Yes, the Genesis Sample Theme devs have a JS file that automatically adjusts that top margin to accommodate the fixed header so that CSS alone will not remove it. I do currently have it setup so that if you disable the fixed header through the DevKit Design Option that JS code will no longer be used on the front-end, but I don't currently have that set to keep the fixed header but remove the JS code.

Yeah, it's an issue with the current Genesis Sample, so I don't expect Devkit to have a fix for it. Just letting others know in case they run into the same issue.

I assume, like Themer Pro, that Genesis Devkit copies whatever the current active child-theme is, so if I have another child-theme active, it will copy that...?

I'm new to creating my own custom themes -- have used Dynamik on several sites, but haven't created my own themes yet -- and am wondering how deep Genesis Dev Kit goes? All I have seen looks like it can readily handle styling settings, but what about structure? Can it be used to lay down widget areas?

eric

Administrator
Cobalt Apps Developer
"Yeah, it's an issue with the current Genesis Sample, so I don't expect Devkit to have a fix for it. Just letting others know in case they run into the same issue."

I've provided a new option in the "Header" Design Options that allows you to de-activate that Sample Theme JS file that creates this auto-margin. So now you can use that option so that Fixed Header functionality doesn't override your Custom CSS.

"I assume, like Themer Pro, that Genesis Devkit copies whatever the current active child-theme is, so if I have another child-theme active, it will copy that...?"

Yes and no. Yes, in that it clones whatever the current active Child Theme is, but no, it won't allow you to clone Child Themes that weren't first created by DevKit (or "DevKit Compatible Child Themes" as I call them). And since a newly created DevKit Child Theme is based off of the latest Sample Theme design, that's going to be your starting point either way. But as you create more custom designs you'll be able to clone those as well, meaning that though you may start with the Sample Theme design you'll be able to expand on that over time and clone different variations that you come up with. We may push out our own pre-customized DevKit Child Theme designs as well, but I haven't gotten to that project just yet (nor have I fully committed to it yet either).

eric

Administrator
Cobalt Apps Developer
I'm new to creating my own custom themes -- have used Dynamik on several sites, but haven't created my own themes yet -- and am wondering how deep Genesis Dev Kit goes? All I have seen looks like it can readily handle styling settings, but what about structure? Can it be used to lay down widget areas?
First, be sure to post new questions like this in their own thread so you don't hijack other people's posts (hijack sounds so evil, but that's just the term, I know you're not evil :)

Regarding your question, DevKit does a few structural things, but it is mostly focused on building out the Child Theme's stylesheet and then providing comprehensive Custom Coding tools. But for more UI-based structural changes we recommend our Extender Pro Plugin as an excellent companion tool.